This month we celebrate the tenth anniversary of The Orlando Law Group.
On August 8, 2009, I took a leap of faith that the Central Florida region would benefit from a law firm that puts people first and cares deeply about the community. We knew our clients wanted a firm staffed with attorneys who precisely focus on all areas of law.
Back then, I had a small office with two lawyers and no support staff. When I started up, the firm was agile, focused on growth and service, and I knew that what we had to offer could dramatically change many of our clients’ lives for the better.
Now, a decade later, I’ve seen a lot of change and have learned quite a bit along the way. As I reflect, there are five things I have learned that stand out.
- The law is continually evolving. Like many industries, the legal world is subject to change and improvement over time. New laws are created, and we are responsible for understanding the fine details on how they affect our clients. Sometimes these laws are only small changes to existing laws and other times entirely new laws are put into place, like the current bill filed with the state of Florida to decriminalize marijuana. What makes us successful is our ability to learn these new laws and understand how they apply to current and future clients.
- Our clients’ needs have become more complex. The practice of law is exciting in that there are so many different legal areas. Over the past ten years, it’s become clear that it is impossible to draw definitive boundaries around each practice. So many times we have to take into account several areas of law when we work with a client. Family Law, for example, can stretch into business law and estate planning quite easily. As a firm, my team’s ability to be nimble and creative is a tremendous asset. We are able to look at the big picture for a client and provide them with a complete solution, even when their needs span multiple areas of law.
- A dedication to the community is critical. If any new business owner were to ask me for advice on how to be successful, I’d tell them that being an active member of the community is very important — the communities in which we serve benefit in countless ways when business get involved. As business owners, we have the experience to think critically about solving problems, we can assemble teams to accomplish great things, and we can inspire others to do the same. From the beginning, The Orlando Law Group has made community involvement and service a hallmark of how our firm operates.
- Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people. There’s a saying that suggests that you are influenced more by the people you surround yourself with than by any other source. I believe it. From the beginning, I’ve always found that when I work, socialize, and volunteer with people who have a positive and uplifting attitude, we accomplish more, and every outcome is rewarding. I encourage everyone to seek out the positive people in their lives and simply spend time with them. Their spirit is contagious and can affect you in profound ways.
- Set big goals and work tirelessly towards them. After a decade, my firm has grown to five offices with two dozen employees. My goals are substantial, and they get bigger all the time. When you set big goals and make a strategic plan to achieve those goals, amazing things happen. I truly love what I do. It’s my purpose in life, and that is why I work so hard to help as many people as possible. It’s not about how many offices we have or how many employees come to work every day. What matters most is that we have a positive impact on the lives of our clients.
I am fiercely proud to be celebrating our 10th anniversary today. In some ways, it feels like just a few moments have past and in others a lifetime. I do know this; we continue to be agile and aggressive. We continue to work with endless dedication to our clients. And while we celebrate ten years of serving our clients and our community, we are now focused on the next ten. 2029, here we come.